The word “thaumaturgy” is a combination of two Greek words: “thauma” and “urgy.” These words mean “marvel” and “work” respectively; when combined together, they denote marvel-work or miracle-work.
The abilities of the cantrip were inspired by ancient spiritualists. To fully understand it, it is only right that you know where it came from.
To use this item effectively, you must have created that is up to DM discretion. This is because you need their approval to enhance a spell’s capability and advantages. Even if you do not eventually earn this approval, it certainly wouldn’t hurt if you try.
What Does the Thaumaturgy 5e Do?
With the thaumaturgy 5e, you can exhibit a sign of supernatural power and a minor wonder, which include the following:
- Produce a voice boom that amplifies your voice by up to three times its normal volume. Because of this, you can improve your use of the divine word or vicious mockery, and as such, influence a larger region than you normally would. You can also deceive people who are some distance away by imitating different sounds such as that of a lion.
- Manipulate a flame by making it flicker, brighten, change color, and dim. With this attribute, you can increase or decrease the reach of a torch in darkened areas. What’s more? You can signal others some distance from you by modifying the flame color, etc.
- Manufacture harmless ground tremors. Doing this can create an illusion that a cave is about to collapse, an army is on its way, or great tragedies are about to happen, among others.
- Produce sounds that project from any place you choose. With this, you can deceive others and make them think there are people in places where there aren’t. You can also use it to intimidate animals with predatory sounds and attract them with mating calls, etc.
- Control the opening and closing of an unlocked door. This ability will allow you to discover if there’s an enemy or trap set against a door. What should you do? Slam the door open to throw them off -balance. Or, if someone is chasing you, slam it close to deter impede them.
- Change the appearance of your eyes. Finally, you can give others the impression you are blind by altering your eyes and making them seem damaged or missing. You can also intimidate others by turning your eye color to black.
The effects mentioned above have a range of 30 feet and usually last for no longer than one minute. So, prepare for yourself to not use them past this period. In all, this is a tool that is very handy if you are into this kind of thing.